Monday, January 21, 2008

Second Life philosophy: Into the woods

(Above: The old fashion way of hanging out: actually going somewhere. My real friends Charles, Magdalena and Katlyn sharing another bottle of red wine in Paris last spring.)

Why Second Life? The endless possibilities of creativity, digital manipulation and social networking, perhaps.

To fully immerse yourself in Second Life, it kind of requires a leap of faith. I have been completely skeptical of the program since I heard a year or so ago that you can buy American Apparel clothes for your avatar. It was the first time I heard of this Sims-gone-global grid, and the thought that people were spending (and making) big money on pixels sounded completely absurd (and a complete waste, frankly).

But my Digital World class at the University of Oregon (Second Life campus coming soon!) urged me to find something on the internet that is out of my comfort zone and immerse myself in it completely. Even as I was picking my name, I experienced the crossword puzzle-style thinking that the second world requires of you. It is all there, but you need to get damn creative to figure it out. The difference is, there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer to the puzzle.

From what I understand, there are strip clubs, vacation destinations, vast consumer possibilities, and even a parallel Teen Second Life Grid. You can look however you want (with the skills, and sometimes the money), and my gosh you might be surprised! People actually do look different. I had this irrational expectation that everyone would be tall and blonde and wearing Juicy Couture zip ups. But, obviously, people don't want to only look like California kings and queens in real life, so why would they in Second Life?

Refreshing not-so-So Cal looks: A vampire with a white face and a long black cape, a and my favorite so far: Miss Natalia's sensual mermaid costume. On a recent search for my future orange kitty, I came across an avatar person who was a small white cat.

We all have so much potential here. It does not have to be just a waste of time. In my Digital World class, the American Apparel example came up, and the answer to why people spend money and time in this semi-fictional, digital world? Because they can.

Above: My friend Taran and I having a good chuckle over a local brew. Portland has the most micro-brews per capita in the nation, and Eugene isn't far behind. Are seasonal beers as good when they aren't real?

Above: My best friend and roommate Ali and I enjoying a recent Four Trees concert in Eugene. The only way I think I'll find equally good friends on Second Life as in my real life is if I convince Ali and my sisters to get on the grid. Come on girls, let's go shopping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very real and cute blog and pictures. Found my way to your site from "The Diary of A Second Life Social-Sofia Grey".....I hope you have a blast in SL which it seems like you are. I love it as well. I also felt the same way about getting my gal pals to join so we can all have a "Sex In the City" gang or something like that : ) Hope to see you around the grid because I'm up for shopping anytime.